Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Observations

Last week I had the opportunity to be observed teaching twice. Both observations took place during the same class period, just on two separate days. The first observation was on Tuesday with my student teaching supervisor and the second observation was on Thursday with Ken Templeton, from Great Schools Partnership. Ken works with the school district, in a sort of mentoring role. For example, when the freshmen team meets during lunch, he will eat with us and listen to our comments, concerns, etc., and he tries to find ways to help the team improve. After the initial wave of panic subsided when I found out he would be observing me and not H, I realized how valuable of an opportunity it would be for me, to have someone who doesn't really know me observe me. He asked me what areas I would like him to focus on, and because of the class dynamics I asked for him to focus on my classroom management skills/techniques. 

Because I had already been observed teaching that group of students once, it was nice to have a second observation to compare to the first observation, especially for classroom management purposes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment