Monday, March 11, 2013

Seniors Take Two

Friday I subbed for H for the second half of the day. That meant I was alone teaching the seniors. They've started to warm up to me, but they are still standoffish at times, so I was a little concerned at how the period would go. H left me a list of what each senior should be working on and where they were in their process. I knew I would have an ed tech for support, but she doesn't really do any discipline, which is the area I had the most concern about.

The seniors seriously impressed me. They (mostly) worked on their assignments the entire time, and I only had to have one conversation about discipline. I almost think that not having H there at all helped. I also tried not to hover as much, and only checked in with each of them occasionally. Having different students working on different assignments at different times is tricky, especially with this group, but it also allowed me to float around and talk to more of them than I would have been able to if I had done whole class instruction with them.

I ended up actually really enjoying subbing for the seniors. After class ended, I'm pretty certain that I had a huge smile on my face. I was so proud of how well-behaved they were, especially compared to their normal behavior. They all also got a lot of work done in class, when normally they waste a lot of time because they are "waiting" for H to conference with them, even though they usually have something else they could be working on. I felt as though I actually was able to accomplish something with them, which I hadn't been expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment